Jose Manuel Guzman Wiki
Jose Manuel Guzman Biography
Who is Jose Manuel Guzman ?
A Texas man who was allegedly having s*x with his own sister is accused of beating her to death with a baseball bat after discovering she slept with another man in his home while he slept.
José Manuel Guzmán, 32, is being held on $1 million bail and faces murder charges after he allegedly killed his sister on Feb. 2 at their Canutillo home in a fit of jealousy, the District Attorney’s Office said. El Paso County District.
Prosecutors say Guzman, who is from Guatemala but a legal resident of the United States, has lived in El Paso since he was three years old and recently learned he had a Guatemalan-born sister, the El Paso Times reported.
The brothers moved in together and began a s*xual relationship, Assistant District Attorney John Briggs said at a bond hearing by teleconference Wednesday.
Prosecutors said that on Feb. 1, Guzman and her sister got into an argument with her and the 32-year-old man hit her and knocked out her tooth.
The next day, Guzman told detectives he woke up to feel someone had been to his house and found out that his sister had s*x with a friend while he was sleeping, leading to a violent attack.
Guzman allegedly killed her sister by hitting her in the forehead with a “massage device” and a baseball bat, prosecutors said.
Guzmán then called his mother, who contacted authorities.
Guzmán was trying to clean up the blood when he heard police sirens and fled.
Arriving officers found the baseball bat, massager and clothes in a laundry basket, as well as a backpack that had a Pringles can containing packets of cocaine and methamphetamine, prosecutors said.
After he was arrested Feb. 3, Guzman confessed to the murder in a three-hour videotaped interview in English and Spanish with sheriff’s detectives, Briggs said.
In the interview, Guzmán confessed to smoking marijuana and methamphetamine every day, prosecutors said.
During a bond hearing Wednesday, Guzman’s public defender, Frank Chelly, asked a judge to lower bail from $1 million, which he said was “unreasonable and oppressive” and “unconstitutional” for Guzman, who works in landscaping.
“I don’t know, he does so much landscaping… his job is drug dealing,” Briggs replied.
Prosecutors said Guzmán, a suspected drug trafficker out on bail pending trial in other cases, was a potential flight risk.
His other charges include allegedly breaking a man’s arm with a baseball bat and breaking the windows of his car in 2017, family violence and drug possession.
In 2018, Guzman failed to appear for trial in one case but was later released on bail, Briggs said.
Magistrate Judge Ruben Nunez held bail at $1 million, citing the nature of the crime and Guzman’s criminal record.
Jose Manuel Guzman Quick and Facts
- Jose Manuel Guzman, 32, is being held on $1 million bond and facing murder charges after he allegedly killed his sister on February 2 in their Canutillo home
- Guzman, who is from Guatemala but a legal US resident, has lived in El Paso since he was three and recently learned he had a sister born in Guatemala
- Prosecutors said on February 1, Guzman and his sister got into an an argument and the 32-year-old punched his sister and knocked out one of her teeth
- The next day Guzman allegedly killed his sister by hitting her with on the forehead with a ‘massage instrument’ and a baseball bat, prosecutors said
- Guzman allegedly confessed to the murder in a three-hour video-recorded interview in English and Spanish with sheriff’s detectives, prosecutors said