Lashawn McNeil Wiki
Lashawn McNeil Biography
Who is Lashawn McNeil ?
New York police released a photo of the blood-covered illegal Glock 45 equipped with a high-capacity 40-round magazine that was used to kill rookie officer Jason Rivera and seriously wound partner Wilbert Mora on Friday in Harlem.
Rivera, 22, who grew up just five miles from the shooting and signed up just over a year ago in November 2020, was killed in the attack. His partner Wilbert Mora, who joined the NYPD in 2018, is currently fighting for his life.
Multiple law enforcement sources initially said both had died.
Lashawn McNeil, 47, a convicted felon who was on parole at the time, was shot and wounded by a third officer after he tried to flee the home.
He was in surgery Friday night, and her mother, who called police for threatening her, allegedly told police she knew he was carrying weapons, the New York Post reported.
Sources told the Post that the unnamed mother had told McNeil not to come home with guns while helping her disabled brother, and that she didn’t believe he was carrying a gun when she called police Friday night. .
The incident began as “a normal verbal family dispute with no injuries or anything out of the ordinary,” police sources added.
The battery charger McNeil had fitted to his Glock allows it to hold an additional 40 rounds to the gun’s ten, giving the shooter a total of 50 rounds to fire.
New York prohibits the use of magazines with more than 10 rounds.
Eric Adams, the mayor of New York, a former NYPD officer who took office just three weeks ago, angrily declared at the Harlem hospital that the violence must stop.
“It’s our city against murderers,” he said.
‘This is not just an attack on three brave officers. This was an attack on New York City.
The officer deaths are the first under Adams, who was elected in part to combat rising crime in the city, and the first shooting deaths of an NYPD officer since July 2017.
Rivera and Mora are the fourth and fifth police officers shot so far this year; by comparison, last year a total of 10 police officers were shot across New York state.
Patrick Lynch, president of the Police Benevolent Association, the world’s largest municipal police union representing 50,000 active and retired officers, criticized city leaders for not doing enough.
Lynch has been highly critical of the new Manhattan district attorney, Alvin Bragg, who announced upon taking office earlier this month that he would not prosecute certain crimes.
Lynch said on Jan. 4 that he had “serious concerns about the message that these kinds of policies send to both cops and criminals on the street.”
On Friday night, he was furious and pointed the finger firmly at Bragg and his policies.
“Our hearts are broken, we are in shock, our knees are buckled,” he said.
And we’re angry, because we’ve been here before.
We are angry, because we saw it coming.
“We are angry, because we said it would happen, and it happened again.”
Lashawn McNeil, 47, was well known to New York police officers, who were called to his family’s New York City home on a domestic violence claim in August.
The offender has had five arrests in three different states between 1998 and 2003.
1998: McNeil was arrested for illegal possession of a weapon in South Carolina
Records show the matter was dismissed.
2002: He was arrested for assaulting a police officer in Allentown, Pennsylvania, where he had a registered address.
2003: He was also arrested twice for felony drug and misdemeanor narcotics in Pennsylvania.
That same year, he was arrested and convicted of a felony narcotics offense in New York City, for which he was still on probation.
Devastating footage showed officers’ colleagues taking them to the hospital after McNeil, who has been arrested in three states, opened fire with a stolen Glock 9mm pistol, which was recovered at the scene.
The gun was equipped with a drum magazine, a firearm accessory that has been the subject of controversy and is illegal in New York, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Vermont, and the District of Columbia, all which have a limit on the capacity of the charger.
Lashawn McNeil fitted his Glock 45 with a drum magazine, which allowed his gun to hold an additional 40 rounds of ammunition, giving him a total of 50 rounds to fire.
This type of magazine has been the subject of controversy linked to the history of mass shootings in the US.
In 1989, Patrick Purdy entered Cleveland Elementary School in Stockton, California with a semi-automatic weapon, killing five schoolchildren and injuring 32 others.
It was the largest number of deaths and injuries from a school shooting at the time, prompting lawmakers to propose a ban on assault weapons and their extended magazines.
Quick and Facts
- Two police officers have been shot and one of them killed in New York’s Harlem district after responding to a mother’s domestic violence call about her son
- Jason Rivera, 22, a New Yorker who joined the NYPD a little over a year ago, in November 2020, has been been pronounced dead
- Rivera said that he wanted to join the police to improve community relations, and to put a smile on peoples’ faces
- His partner, Wilbert Mora, who joined the NYPD in 2018, is currently fighting for his life in hospital, with both officers dashed to hospital in their colleagues’ patrol cars
- Lashawn McNeil, 47, – who was out on probation at the time on a 2003 felony narcotics charge in New York City, and who had four arrests in other states – was injured when a third officer opened fire as he tried to flee
- Police recovered the illegal Glock used in the shooting, which was equipped high ‘high capacity magazine’
- The shooting is the first police fatality under Mayor Eric Adams, a former NYPD officer, and the fourth and fifth since he took over on January 1, and the first shooting of a NYPD officer since July 2017
- Adams on Friday night declared: ‘It is our city against the killers. This is not just an attack on three brave officers. This was an attack on the city of New York’