Nicholas Joseph Gutierrez Wiki
Nicholas Joseph Gutierrez Biography
The 22-year-old man who was arrested for allegedly deliberately running over dozens of Los Angeles sheriff’s deputies with his truck, leaving several seriously injured, has been released from jail to allow police to gather more evidence.
Nicholas Joseph Gutierrez, who was charged with the attempted murder of a peace officer, was released at 9:49 p.m. on Thursday, according to jail records that cited an insufficient complaint, CNN reported.
“Due to the extreme complexity of the investigation, which includes ongoing interviews, video surveillance review, and additional evidence needed to be analyzed, homicide investigators have released Mr. Gutierrez from Sheriff’s Department custody,” authorities said. it’s a statement.
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputy Deanna Mares told CNN that Gutierrez was ousted because investigators need more time to collect evidence for the district attorney’s office.
“It’s not that they’ve arrested the wrong suspect,” Mares told CNN. “They just want to make sure the investigation is complete.”
Nicholas Joseph Gutierrez, left, the man arrested for running over California law enforcement recruits was released from jail Thursday night.
The sheriff’s department normally must present a case to the prosecutor within 48 hours of an arrest, and investigators were not ready to do so with Gutierrez, he explained.
The sheriff’s spokesman, Sgt. Gerardo Magos told the LA Times that authorities plan to arrest Gutierrez and present the case to the prosecutor’s office once they develop the case further.
“The evidence is there. We just want to make sure it’s presented correctly,” he said.
The suspect’s initial arrest has been ruled an arrest, according to the LA Times.
Jail records reportedly cited a California penal code that authorizes police to release people without first prosecuting them if there are insufficient grounds to file a criminal complaint.
The case was expected to go to the prosecutor’s office on Friday, but Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva told NewsNation the suspect would be “provisionally” released while investigators worked to build a stronger case.
“Right now, we want to tie up all the loose ends of the case and then present it to the prosecutor,” he told the cable channel, adding that investigators had “developed probable cause to believe it was intentional.”
Alexandra Kazarian, a lawyer for Gutierrez, told KABC Thursday night that she “had no doubt that an in-depth investigation will confirm that Nicholas is a young worker who has no animosity toward law enforcement, and this was absolutely an accident.” tragic”. .”
At least 25 recruits were injured in Wednesday’s horrific incident, five in critical condition and some with missing limbs, according to the sheriff’s office.
“There were so many bodies scattered everywhere in different states of injury that it was quite traumatic for everyone involved,” Villanueva said previously.
Some of the victims reported that Gutierrez may have accelerated in the Honda CRV just prior to impact near the Sheriff’s STARS Center Academy.
Witnesses said he was going between 30 and 40 mph at the time.
The suspect took a field sobriety test and had no alcohol in his system, authorities said.